For most of us, it is hard to remember a time before cell phones became a thing. With a cell phone store on practically every corner, it’s no wonder that everyone has a cell phone and is accustomed to having technology at their fingertips. While you might be familiar with the functionality of cell phones, here are 16 facts that might surprise you!
- The Nokia 1100 was the best-selling electrical gadget in history, selling more than 250 million phones!
- The first cell phone in 1983 came with a hefty price tag of $4000.
- In 2012, Apple sold more than 340,000 iPhones per day! That equals to roughly 4 phones per second!
- Cell phones have 18 times more bacteria than toilet handles. Yuck!
- In Japan, 90% of cell phones are water-proof.
- The first call made from a mobile phone was placed by Martin Cooper in 1973.
- Present-day cell phones have more computing power than the computer used for Apollo 11 to land on the moon!
- In Britain, more than 100,000 cell phones are droppedin the toilet every year!
- 70% of cell phones are manufactured in China.
- Around 80% of the world’s population has a cell phone.
- More than 90% of adults have their cell phone within arm’s reach at all times.
- There are more cell phones than PCs, at a ratio of 5:1!
- The cell phone industry is the fastest growing industry in the world.
- According to Guinness World Records, Sonim XP3300 Force is recognized as the toughest phone. It survived an 84-Foot drop with no operational damage.
- The iPhone 5 Black Diamond is the most expensive phone in the world, costing $15 million, and taking 9 weeks to build. The phone is made of 135-gram solid gold of 24 carat and the chassis was inlaid with 600 white diamonds.
- Cell phone users spend the majority of their time on games (49%) and social networking (30%).
We hope that you found our list of facts to be interesting!